I conduct macro workshops occasionally for both beginners and advanced macro photographers. It is a never-ending learning journey and I hope I can share more from these workshops.
I run introductory macro photography workshops as an instructor with Nikon School Singapore. Advanced workshops are usually conducted in the form of a macro photography boot camp in Borneo once in every two years. I am also a BugShot instructor, having conducted lessons in Belize (2015) and soon in Mozambique (2018).
If you have always been interested in macro photography but have not known where to start, or have tried a bit and fumbled a lot, this is for you. If you like the photos you see on this blog and wish you could shoot something like that, this is for you too.
Macro photography trains one’s patience, eye for detail, creativity and even physical stamina in some cases. It is much more than a simple press of a button on the camera and promises an enriching experience.
What You Will Learn
- Macro photography basics and equipment
- Troubleshooting common challenges faced in macro photography
- How to find and approach subjects in nature
- Building your own flashlight diffuser and using them on the spot (Materials will be provided)
- Hands on shooting session
Topics will be taught using live demonstrations on a real camera and subjects. Participants will be able to understand the challenges faced in macro photography and learn how to overcome them creatively.
- Keen interest in bugs and macro photography
- Digital camera with macro capabilities, flash, and ability to adjust manual settings. Most “Point and Shoot” cameras have macro capabilities. If you are using a DSLR, your default kit lens alone is typically not suitable – a dedicated macro lens is ideal, but extension tubes and/or close up filters will do as well.
- Basic photography knowledge will be useful
Some participants have kindly provided their testimonials to share their experiences at my past workshops.
|“Whoever is into Macro Photography will enjoy to learn much from the workshops ran by a master in this field! Nicky’s works are outstanding in the subject captured, quality and composition. Thanks for this opportunity!”
|“If you are a budding or even an experienced macro photographer, I can highly recommend that you attend one of Nicky’s workshops. Nicky shares his knowledge without reserve and his enthusiasm for macro photography is infectious.”
|“The macro-photography course conducted by Nicky Bay was very informative but at the same time fun and interesting. He really deepened the passion I have for nature photography, and his creative and innovative ways of thinking were so inspiring. Being a young teenager, I thought it might be difficult for me to understand the course. But he made it perfect for me to get started on my future journey of macro photography!”
|“Macro-photography is another world of its own and it provides an insight of the features and structures of the subject that is beyond the naked eyes. Nicky Bay’s photos have been inspiring, attending his workshop had showcased another level of his work. His innovation to better “shots” is an eye-opener and passion for macrophotography are highly contagious. The workshop “deepens” my love for macrophotography, and am sure it will appeal to photographers with all levels of experience. Thank you Nicky for sharing.”
|“Nicky is eager and generous in sharing his immense knowledge in the field of macro photography. The workshop helps both beginners and more experienced photographers in understanding the know-hows of making better images, not just technically and but artistically as well. Highly recommended.”
Teo Nam Siang
|“I never expected to leave the workshop with shots that I’ll actually keep but I did. It’s a really good first step for all budding macro photographers to take as compared to reading up on magazines or watching youtube videos. Definitely recommended!”
Past WorkshopsIf you are wondering how the session would look like, check out these posts for some of my public workshops.
- Introduction to Nature Macro Photography @ Science Centre Singapore (29 June 2013)
- Introduction to Nature Macro Photography @ Science Centre Singapore (6 July 2013)
- Borneo Bootcamp 2015 (24 to 28 June 2015)
- BugShot Belize (5 to 11 August 2015)
- Night Macro Photography Workshop @ Pulau Ubin (28 May 2016)
- Night Macro Photography Workshop @ Pulau Ubin (3 June 2017)
- Borneo Bootcamp 2017 (17 to 23 June 2017)
- BugShot Mozambique (20 to 29 May 2018)
There are currently no macro workshops scheduled. For corporate or group workshops, please contact me at email@example.com